With today being “Cyber Monday”, I bet you have been inundated with online ads tempting you to save money and buy today. While I love the convenience of online shopping just as much as the next guy, I have done some research and offer these basic TIPS if you decide to buy online!
- HTTPS: When you are checking out, look for https in the URL. If you do not see the “s”, then you should bail! You will get more than you bargained for. image attribution
- Familiar Sites Only: Only shop from websites that you are familiar with. If you do not recognize it, don’t buy it.
- Avoid Phishing Scams: Even if you recognize it, make sure you get there from their main website and NOT a link to it from an ad. Call the company if you are unsure.
- Use Personal WIFI: Don’t purchase from public WIFI. Window shop only.
- Use APPS: If shopping from a phone or tablet, use Apps, not a web browser. They add an additional layer of security.
- Use a PIN: Lock your phone/tablet. And, “window-L” on your computer keyboard when you walk away.
- Do Not Store Data: Do not store your payment (CC/DC) info when asked at checkout.
- Check Bank Statements: Check your bank statements frequently after purchases. Contact them immediately if you see unsolicited activity.