WEB2oOLS to try:
- Ted Ed Lessons -Ted Talks that have teacher lessons attached.
- Internet Archive – This site allow you to download videos and much more to avoid the risk of loss later.
- MultCloud – transfer cloud drives with this free tool. This will be the tool that we will have senior advisory teachers show to their students so that they can take their files with them.
- RETIRING: Goo.gl URL shortener – Starting March 30, 2018, we will be turning down support for goo.gl URL shortener. From April 13, 2018 only existing users will be able to create short links on the goo.gl console. You will be able to view your analytics data and download your short link information in CSV format for up to one year, until March 30, 2019, when we will discontinue goo.gl. Previously created links will continue to redirect to their intended destination. Please see this blog postopen_in_new for more details.
- I love TinyURL as my URL shortener.
- Google Forms that you have shared with the URL shortener, I assume will also be affected.
- Chrome is BV approved… here are some basics about Chrome that you need to know.
- ScreenCastify – Google Chrome Add-in that will create a video screen capture and save it to your Google Drive so you can easily share. Ask Ryan Hintz or Ann Dark how they use this WEB2oOL, I mentioned this while talking out our department pivots. I also urge you to visit with the math department. They are really good at creating instructional videos. They may have some additional advise if you are considering this pivot towards blended learning.
- You can attach a file to a Google Form! This is a throwback, but thought it was good timing since Katie Bonnema just sent out a form where you can attach files. I am getting ready to help Laura Sulentic have her kids take a photo on their phone and attach to the form… yes you can!
- RETIRING: Office Mix – Retiring on May 1, 2018. See how you can migrate your videos before that date.
- Load Shared OneNote – With a portion of the staff having to go through a reimage, many are wondering how to get their OneNotes back on their bookshelves.
- Archive Email – need to do some spring cleaning with your Outlook Inbox. I love this method… easy to search and send if needed (sadly does not work on the Outlook App/ Mac).
- New Gradebook – BVW training went well last Friday with 25 staff attending.
- Link to BVW Tech Canvas for all materials (private canvas course, email me if you want invited).
- Here is a quick start guide as well.
- Vote to allow column width adjusting – must login to vote. Please do this if you agree… this is how we can get their attention.
- Thanks to Catie Madderom and Ann Dark for volunteering to my request for need for pilots.
- Groups and Peer Review: I created guides to explain the various ways of setting up Groups and Peer Reviews. Both are a bit confusing since there are as so many options. I suggest the first time you do this, you use it as a time for all to learn (you included). Happy to connect with your PLC for additional help on this. Lauren Garcia gets a gold star for pushing through on this!
- Since we do not have the district Adobe licence, many are needing a good PDF WEB2oOL. Here are a couple of really good options:
- Add shortcuts to Word (or any MS application) that will Print to PDF, and Send as Email -With the re-images, I thought some of you might like this reminder.
- How to loop a YouTube video – Right click on the video and select loop. Thinking of your end of the year presentations/banquets.
Get the Details: Techie Teacher
- Public Calendars to be removed from outlook this summer!
- BVW Staff Info- Since this was a calendar used to send out invitations to various meeting, you will get invites from the organizer instead. (admin, admin secretary for ex). Just be sure to accept those when they come in.
- BVW SPED (SPED only effected) – I am working with that group to get them an online sign up in the fall for their conference rooms.
- BVW School Calendar – this has not been used for a year since we moved to the new website but I wanted to be sure that you all knew that you had a different option. Instead, you can go to the BVW website calendar and subscribe to your Outlook (Mac can only subscribe to iCalendar/it does not work with the outlook app). It will become one of your calendars, and it changes when someone makes a change.
- Impact Study – the study has concluded! We get to keep the chromebooks for a while longer, but the official study is done. Thanks to Mike Alsin, Ryan Copp, Kara David and Heather Hall for leading this study. My understanding is that a decision will be made within a couple of weeks and then brought to the board for approval. Stay tuned to hear if we go Chromebook or Mac!
- Teacher Replacement Laptop – this depends on the impact study results. If we go with the Macbook air, then staff will likely get replaced with a Macbook. I am going to thank Becca Munson, Courtney Grimaldi, Debbie Glenn, Todd Kurimsky, Carla Roberts, Aimee Price, Brian Kroeker and anyone else that is Mac savvy in advance as they will play a pivotal role in support of students and staff going forward with this option. If we go Chromebook, then we will go with a Dell laptop. Special thanks to JJ Quillin, Sarah Balint and Jenn Stanley for testing the potential replacements. Stay tuned!
- Innovation Plans – please schedule time to work on ideas to implement blended learning into your plans. I can work with PLC’s or individuals. Now is the time to reflect and change. Ask Jenny LeGrotte about her plans – she is going to work with me to make her student physical notebooks have a digital component.
- Digital Workflow SPRING CLEAN UP – now is a great time to consider changing the way to organize your files. I am happy to help. Google just opened Team Drives which is an awesome spot for your “RDrive” files if you are wanting to migrate to the cloud. Team drives is owned by the team instead of one owner. This makes is great for teams that change. I shared this idea with Debbie Glenn and she was intrigued… check with her on her thoughts. Check out this preview of what is possible with Google Team Drive:
Do you know a deserving BVW Techie Teacher? Please submit them here for consideration: